Thursday 6 January 2011

SharePoint 2010 August Cumulative Updates breaks ForeFront Identity Manager

I have recently came across a bug in the Newsfeed Settings. I have gone into my newsfeed setting and unchecked some of the activity types. The first time I done it, it was fine. However when I try to do it again, I noticed that my changes doesn't get saved.

Found nothing out there, so I decided to apply to SharePoint 2010 August Cumulative Updates:
SharePoint Foundation 2010: kb2266423
SharePoint Server 2010: kb2352342

After I applied the updates, my problems gone! I can now save my newsfeed settings.

BUT!!!! (You know that I am going to say this, right?) It produces another problem.

As usual, after the reboot required by the updates, my two ForeFront Identity Manager services have stopped. The Forefront Identity Manager Service has started successfully, but I couldn't get the Synchronization Service start.

I am getting the following error:


And when I checked my error log, I am getting a WorkflowManagerException: Forefront Identity Management Service does not support workflows of type 'Microsoft.ResourceManagement.Workflow.Activities.SequentialWorkflow, Microsoft.ResourceManagement, Version=2.0.2450.5" error:


To fix this problem, simply delete your User Profile Service Application, and recreate a new one.  Somehow the cumulative update does not work with the service application that was created using the old binary?

No comments: